Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Another Small Package

The old saying, "Good things come in small packages,"  sure does apply to our family!  On February 25th we recieved the news we had been waiting for for nearly 2 years... we were getting a little guy from Korea!!! Of course, he was a preemie, just like our daughter Libby.  Reggie, our dog, Libby, and Ty's weight combined at birth equaled 8 lbs.  (Reggie weighed in at 1 lb, Libby at 2 lbs, and Tyler at 5 lbs)  WOW...most people have just one kid that weighs that much!  Needless to say him being a preemie and weighing only 5 lbs. didn't scare us in the least... we probably would have been more afraid of a full-size baby. :)  

We got our referral call on a Friday night.  It was funny how it happened.  Lib and Chris were thinking about heading to the Plymouth Whaler's hockey game and I was planning a quite evening alone reading my book.  For one reason or another Chris and Lib stayed home, and it's a good thing they did.   To back up a little, earlier in the day I had put in a call to our social worker because I was upset after reading the Korean Blog (I follow that blog like a hawk).  The blog mentioned that 3 families recieved referrals.  I knew we were at the top of the list and wanted to question why we weren't one of those families.  At 8:00 our social worker called back.  Normally I would have been excited to see her name come up on caller ID, but since I had called her earlier in the day I figured she was just returning my call.  I answered and apologized for bothering her on a Friday night.  She said no worries and asked if Chris was home?  I said "why, are we one of the families?  Are we one of the families that got a referral?"  She again asked, "Is Chris home?"  I finally got Chris on the phone and she told us the wonderful news about our new son!  A nice relaxing Friday night turned into Chris, Libby and I all sitting on the couch listening to our social worker on speaker phone telling us all the details about our son.  Lib was so excited because she was determined to get a brother...and she did!  I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Friday night! 

Then came to task of naming him.  We hadn't really talked about names because we decided to wait until we found out if we were getting a boy or girl. After much discussion we decided on a name.  If you know anything about me you know I like nicknames, I think they are endearing.  Libby is short for Elizabeth, and I even shorten Libby to Lib most of the time.  Well, my only stipulation was that we pick a name that had a nickname....thus Tyler and I'll call him Ty.  Ty, Ty...Special Guy!

Much more to come...

2 comments:

  1. Love the new blog amy. Cant wait to follow your progress and meet this wonderfully special guy named Ty. He is so lucky to have found your fami,y to love him

    ReplyDelete